The world is growing rapidly, and this has led to an increased need for water. Unfortunately, at the same time, the world is plagued by droughts as well. Because of this, we all have to take responsibility and conserve water as much as possible. There are numerous ways of doing this, one of which is to monitor potential water leaks. You should, therefore, look into the different leak detection services Ventura County CA has to offer. At the same time, you should know what to look for yourself, so that you know when to phone the detection services.
Two Types of Leak Detection Systems
- Passive leak detection systems. These are battery operated, stand-alone devices that will sound an alarm when they detect moisture. They usually also indicate exactly where the leak is. Make sure that you regularly check the batteries.
- Active leak detection systems. These also sound an alarm when there is a suspected leak, and they will also switch the water of. Usually, they have a flow or moisture sensor that helps find any leaks.
Active leak detection systems are generally the best ones, and they come in two different models:
- The individual appliance system, which has to be installed on each of your appliances.
- Whole house systems, whereby the entire home can be reviewed through wiring connections and radio signals.
Where Are the Leaks?
Whether you have a leak detection system or not, you have to make sure that you know where leaks can originate, so that you can detect them in time. Some of the most common places for leaks include:
- The toilet and bathroom, particularly the water heating system, faucets, and showerheads.
- The kitchen, particularly the water heating system, the dishwasher, and the faucet.
- The laundry room, particularly the clothes washer and the faucet.
- The basement and garage, particularly the hot water system and the evaporative cooler.
- The lawn, particularly the irrigation system, low water use gardens, and turf.
- Your spa and pool.
- Your patio.
- Your water meter.
You may think it is easy to detect a water leak. After all, you should be able to see it and hear it. However, this is only true if there is a big leak. If it is very small, it will be far less obvious. Some of the things to look for include:
- Water that leaks into your toilet bowl from the tank, even when it hasn’t been flushed.
- The toilet flushing by itself.
- Placing food color in the toilet bowl and finding it because less pronounced in color.
- Discoloration on your carpet, ceiling, and wall.
- Check your water bill. If it suddenly seems to go up, then you may have a leak.
Remember that water leaks only get worse, so make a point of having a regular check up with a leak detection system in Ventura County so as not to find yourself with a huge repair bill.